Apple garnered all the attention at its iPhone event unveiling the the thinnest-ever version of its smartphone, the iPhone 5.
The company also introduced a redesigned iPod nano.
Besides being thinner and lighter than the previous generation iPod nano, Apple has added key features like Bluetooth and FM radio.
It is surprisingly quite thin at just 5.4mm, being almost 38% thinner than the previous iPod Nano.
The display is 2.5 inches and its multitouch.
The left side houses volume buttons, easily accessible for changing volume levels during use.
A nice addition to the new iPod Nano is a Home button, the same kind we get on the likes of iPod touch and the iPhone.
The function of this Home button is the same, whenever its pressed it takes you to the main grid of app icons.
Apple has also integrated some fitness features and a pedometer.
The Nano has a Lightning dock connector which doubles as a charging dock as well as a dock for high speed data transfer.
The new iPod nano will be available in 7 color options including Red, Green, Purple, Slate, Black, Yellow and Blue.
Price & Availability
It will retail at $150 and will be available in October.
Apple iPod Nano Specifications:
- 2.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
- 240×432-pixel resolution at 202 pixels per inch
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
- User-configurable maximum volume limit
Video Format Support
- H.264 video: 720×576 pixels, 30 frames per second; Baseline, Main and High-Profile level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 256 Kbps; 48kHz; stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
- MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 Mbps, 720×576 pixels, 30 frames per second; Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 256 Kbps; 48kHz; stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
- Regional settings for Americas, Asia, Australia, Europe and Japan
- Live Pause feature for pausing a radio broadcast and rewinding (within a 15-minute buffer)
Power and Battery
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Music playback time: Up to 30 hours when fully charged
- Video playback time: Up to 3.5 hours when fully charged
- Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter (sold separately)
- Fast-charge time: about 1.5 hours (charges up to 80% of battery capacity)
- Full-charge time: about 3 hours
- VoiceOver gesture-based screen reader
- High-resolution LCD display with adjustable backlight settings for easier reading in low light
- Invert Colours
- Mono Audio
- Mac computer with USB 2.0 or 3.0 port, OS X v10.6.8 or later, and iTunes 10.7 or later4
- PC with USB 2.0 port; Windows 7, Vista or XP Home or Professional (SP3) or later; and iTunes 10.7 or later
- Internet access required; broadband recommended; fees may apply
- Operating temperature: 0° to 35° C (32° to 95° F)
- Non-operating temperature: -20° to 45° C (-4° to 113° F)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 3,000 metres (10,000 feet)
Size and Weight
- Height: 76.5 mm (3.01 inches)
- Width: 39.6 mm (1.56 inches)
- Depth: 5.4 mm (0.21 inches)
- Weight: 31 grams (1.1 ounces)1
- True volume: 15,537 cu. mm (0.95 cu. inches)
- iPod nano
- Apple EarPods
- Lightning to USB Cable
- Quick Start Guide